Sunday, April 18, 2010

I suck at blogging about my life, as this post will show.


I was clearly not born to blog. I send my sincere apologies to anyone out there who was anticipating some sort of regular insight into my adventures on this website. I have let you down. Since I haven't updated this for the past 2 months or so, I'm not quite sure what to write in this entry. A lot of memories have been made and forgotten. Nothing too traumatic or dramatic mind you. An important point to state though is that I am enjoying my time here on the whole. I have met some really cool people and am embracing the culture in which I find myself, with the exception of my poor chopstick skills. The Korean people are generally extremely welcoming and accommodating (don't those two words mean the same thing? Oh well). This country's society seems to be based on politeness and respect, both admirable qualities that I very much enjoy about Korea.

I may have mentioned in an earlier blog entry that I wasn't fond of the food, but that has changed. Korean food is mostly awesome and delicious and the variety is great too. I often go out to dinner with friends and it is always an enjoyable experience. One feature of Korean restaurants and bars that is unique to anywhere I have been before is the button present at every table. You push it and a waiter is at your beckon call within seconds. It's frikken' sweet. There are so many restaurants around my neighbourhood that an endless stream of new culinary experiences await.

I am finding the teaching to be rewarding, at least for myself and hopefully the kids too. Tiring too. I am still a rookie in the teaching stakes but I would like to think that I am getting better at it. I am still learning (ironic, since I'm the teacher) but by the end of the year I'll hopefully be a half decent teacher. It's a harder profession than one might think. One of the building blocks of teaching seems to be to get the kids to shut up. After that you can make progress. There are different ways to achieve this first step, which I am still working out. A stern look and the threat of forcing students to sit next to a member of the opposite sex might do the trick though. Boys and girls at this age (9-12) hate each other with a passion. How things will change for them. On the latter point, I now have a girlfriend. More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the girlfriend Lloyd! It's nice to get updates even if they are only every couple of months. Glad you're enjoying yourself - I can really picture you being a good teacher :)
    Linds
    xxx

    ReplyDelete